Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 6 – MVP Highlights. A week in review.

I am now embarrassingly behind so I need to do something drastic. I am going to just lay out week 6's dinners right here in one post. It was a wonderful week of dinners and I would love to chit chat about them all but it is time to get real and give the people what they want....recipes.

So here is the line up for the week...
Day 1 – Brinner (Breakfast for dinner to the lay person)
Day 2 – Chicken Pot Pie
Day 3 – Easy Beef Enchiladas
Day 4 – Chicken Spaghetti
Day 5 – Chicken Corn Chowder-ish Soup

Day 1 – Who doesn't like a good ole hearty Brinner? I was tired and needed to go grocery shopping and feeling like I was running out of options and then it hit me! Breakfast! Everybody loves a good old fashioned breakfast. So we had drop biscuits (Thank you Bisquick), sausage, and eggs. It was delicious and easy and perfect for a monday night. I have no pictures of this and no recipes because really, I know you don't need anyone to tell you how to cook breakfast. But it did satisfy my "something different every night" requirement so I'm happy with that!

Day 2 – Continuing on the path of comfort food. Tuesday night was deliciousness cooked up nicely in a pretty pie plate. Chicken Pot Pie! Yum. This recipe came from the lady at the Independent Pres bible study I mentioned here. It has been great for us and you can make two while you are at it and freeze one or pay it forward to a neighbor.

Chicken Pot Pie
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup green pepper chopped
1/2 cup carrots chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
small can green peas
1 large potato, cooked, diced
1 tsp sage or poultry seasoning
2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
refrigerated double pie crust (like Pillsbury)

Saute onion, green pepper, carrots in butter until tender. Blend in flour. Gradually stir in broth. Cook until smooth and thick. Add the rest of the ingredients. Place 1 pie crust in plate. Pour in filling and top with 2nd crust. Make air vents. Bake at 425º for 45 minutes or until brown.

Day 3 – Beef Enchiladas. Thank you Amanda for giving my family another wonderfully delicious meal. This recipe makes a pretty large portion so I froze half of it and then took it to John David and Becky (and baby Owen) so they would have a quick ready made meal when needed.

Beef Enchiladas
1 lb ground beef (I used turkey. again.)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
8oz cheddar
8oz monterey jack
2 cans mild red enchilada sauce
10 small flour tortillas

1. Brown meat, drain. Mix beef, cottage cheese, sour cream, cheddar, 1/2 of monterey jack. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spread thin layer of sauce in greased 8x12 dish.
3. Roll tortillas with beef mixture and place in dish
4. Top with remaining sauce and monterey jack
5. Bake uncovered at 375º for 20 min. Ole!

Day 4 – My mother-in-law's Chicken Spaghetti recipe! To die for! This one is a little time consuming and also makes ALOT. I usually wait to make it when I am cooking for someone that has had a baby. I give half to them and keep the other half for us.
I took one small casserole dish of this to JD and Becky. Steve and the kids ate while I was out. When I came home this was all that was left for me. Needless to say it is a giant hit at our house!

Chicken Spaghetti
2 large onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
3 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 stick butter
2 lbs chicken, cooked, and pulled or chopped
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 cans rotel
2 cans cream of chicken
1 lb pack of spaghetti
4 cups shredded cheese (i like mexican blend)
1 cup chicken broth

Cook spaghetti and drain. Saute onions and celery in butter. Combine all ingredients (except broth and 2 cups of cheese reserved for topping). Place into two casserole dishes. Pour a little broth over each if they need more moisture (I don't always do this step. Usually is moist enough for me).
Cover and bake for 45 min. Take out and top with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 15 min.

Day 5 – So we invited our friends Jason and Amanda and their little boy Louis over for dinner on Friday of week 6. The pressure for cooing for guests was just too much for me so I decided to take Friday off and cook Sunday's dinner instead. I was feeling guilty about not cooking anything on Friday so I baked a chocolate chip pound cake for us all to enjoy that night. I love having dinner with Jason and Amanda! They completely support my need to have dessert after every meal. And it is almost always homemade!


I am posting the pic of the chocolate chip pound cake because it was far more delicious and picture worthy than the Day 5 dinner that we had Sunday night. Earlier I called it Chicken Corn Chowder-ish Soup because it was supposed to be Corn Chowder but I don't believe it would pass for chowder. When you cook this many different meals you are bound to have some flops. Well, here you go. There were so many reasons this recipe didn't work. But the main reason is because I tried combine two recipes to make something great. My culinary skills are not that advanced because it went in the opposite direction of great. Blah. So here is the original recipe, the way it should have been created. If you try it, I hope you have better success. This recipe comes from The Complete Crockery Cookbook.

Chicken Corn Chowder
2 TBSP butter
An all-purpose seasoning to taste
1 1/2 pounds chicken cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 small onions, chopped
2 celery ribs, sliced
2 small carrots
2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed
2 cans cream of potato soup
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 to 1 cup half and half cream
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet melt the butter and sprinkle in an all purpose seasoning to taste. Add the cubed chicken and saute till lightly browned. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker. Add the next seven ingredients to the slow cooker, cover with the lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until chicken is done and veggies are tender. During the last 15 minutes of cooking add the half and half cream and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment