Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 4 Week 4 - Ode to Food Network

So we are skipping from Wednesday night to Friday night because Steve and I had a grown up dinner with friends Thursday night. I was kind of stressed about it messing up the challenge at first, but then I decided that I would just have to cook dinner on Saturday night to make up for it. I think being flexible will be the only way for me to keep this up for the month of February. So the rule is 5 different meals a week. Preferably week nights, but if something comes up... just make it up on the weekend. Ahh. That little bit of freedom lets me relax a little bit.

So, as I was saying, Friday night I was back in the kitchen and creating a culinary masterpiece. (if I do say so myself). Four Cheese Baked Penne. I got this recipe out of Self Magazine. I believe it is an Ellie Krieger (from the Food Network) recipe. This one is delicious AND nutritious. Relatively easy, but more work than my recent dinners. This recipe makes a lot and can be made a day ahead. Then you just chill it and bake before serving.

For those of you who don't know me, I LOVE Food Network (seriously, Giant Fan here). And for healthy eating, I love Ellie Krieger. I have tried several of her Health Appetite recipes and they are all so good! In fact, I was at her website today and noticed there is a video of her cooking this exact meal! So if you want to watch the real Chef in action here is the link...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-appetite-with-ellie-krieger/index.html

Now I am a little embarrassed to show you my picture because it will not look as amazing as her's, but that is why she is on Food Network and I am not (well except for in my dreams).



Four Cheese Baked Penne
  • 1 pound whole-wheat penne
  • 1 1/2 cups small-curd low-fat cottage cheese
  • 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (8-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (3/4 ounces)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine the cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and parsley in a bowl and stir with a fork to incorporate and set aside. Cook pasta until tender but still firm, a minute or 2 less than the package directs. Drain.

Heat the oil in the same pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, rosemary, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Return pasta to pot with sauce and turn off heat. Add cottage cheese mixture.

Spray a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray then transfer pasta mixture to pan. Top with remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella and the parmesan. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 30 minutes.

Per Serving:

Calories 540; Total Fat 15 g; (Sat Fat 7 g, Mono Fat 3.5 g, Poly Fat 0.5 g) ; Protein 30 g; Carb 73 g; Fiber 9 g; Cholesterol 35 mg; Sodium 860 mg


No comments:

Post a Comment