Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 2 Week 5 – Love and Best Dishes

So it is February 1st. (Well it was February 1st a couple of weeks ago. Just pretend that I am caught up with my writing and you are reading this in real time) I am kind of excited to start a new month. February is a good one for our family. Tons of birthdays...Now that we have Owen (Feb 3rd) and his mom Becky (Feb 5th) it really adds to the fun. Then it is Valentines day, Amelia's birthday, My aunt Dianne's birthday, My grandfathers birthday, My grandparents anniversary, my father-in-law's birthday... AND if that isn't enough, my cousin Rob's baby is due Feb 18th. Whew, for such a short month February has a lot to offer! But I can't lose focus. Must keep on cooking...

Tuesday's meal was an oldie but such a goodie! Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Who in their right mind doesn't love meatloaf and mashed potatoes? Don't answer that. I don't think I want to know about those people. My meatloaf recipe is pretty good, if I do say so myself. I took it from Paula Dean and altered it just slightly to fit our family's taste. So here you go, straight from Paula, to me, to you. What is it she always says?..."I send you love and best dishes, from my kitchen to yers".


Old Fashioned Meat Loaf
1 pound ground turkey (Paula uses ground beef)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
8 oz canned diced tomatoes no juice (Paula's says with juice)
1/2 cup Parmesan
1/2 cup bread crumbs or more for desired consistency (Paula uses quick cooking oats)

Topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP yellow mustard

Preheat oven to 375º. Mix all meatloaf ingredients well (gonna have to get your hands dirty) and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.

Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for 1 hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment