Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 5 Week 5 – Grown-up Grilled Cheese

Friday night again... Amelia has requested game night instead of movie night. I have to say I was pretty excited about that. There is only so much Disney Princess hoopla a parent can stand before you just go crazy and start having really weird cartoon dreams. I've said to much...

Soup and Sandwich seemed the way to go on this Friday evening. This time, thanks to Everyday with Rachel Ray, I tried something new. Grilled Cheese and Kale Sandwiches with Tomato Soup. That's right, I said Kale. Honestly, this was the first time I even laid eyes on Kale. I am not too adventurous with leafy greens. But I decided to give it a whirl because the picture in the magazine looked too good to pass up. I can't get Amelia to eat a plain grilled cheese much less one with Havarti Cheese and Kale! She would just laugh/cry in my face if I offered that to her. So Amelia and Walt just ate left over Fettucini from the night before. The tomato soup turned our really great. I was pretty excited because it was my first time to use and immersion blender, pretty handy dandy little tool that I didn't even know I had. However, I wasn't as turned on about the grilled cheese. The strong flavor of the Havarti and the Kale was a little much for me. Steve, on the other hand, LOVED it. Seriously, he said it was one of the best meals ever! So there you go... a pretty mixed review but an overall positive one I think. Thanks Rachel Ray, for making my husband go crazy over something as simple as a grilled cheese sandwich!


Grilled Cheese and Kale Sandwiches with Tomato Soup
6 TBSP EVOO
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
1 lb Kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
8 slices multigrain bread
8 slices havarti cheese

tip: fold the kale leaves in half and cut along the stems to remove any tough bits

1. In a medium pot, heat 2 TBSP of the olive oil over med -high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 min. Stir in the carrot, cover and cook for 5 min more. Add the tomatoes and veggie broth, bring to simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 20 min. Stir in the cream and using an immersion blender, puree until smooth; season with salt and pepper.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 TBSP olive oil over med-high heat. Add the kale, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 min. Remove from heat.

3. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat (or use George Foreman grill like we do at the Summy house). On a work surface, layer each of 4 bread slices with 1 slice of cheese and some of the kale, then top with a second slice of cheese and bread. Brush the outside of the sandwiches wit the remaining 3 TBSP of olive oil. Grill, turning once, until the cheese is melted and grill marks appear, about 5 min. Serve with the tomato soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment