Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 4 Week 5 – Fettucini in honor of Owen

So here I am at home again on a Sunday morning with a sick kid. Pretty soon these kids are going to cause me to lose some street cred. or Church cred. At the very least make me look like a slacker. But nevertheless, I am here again and have a chance to catch up with the Jolog. Let's see, I have made it to Feb 3rd (by the way it was still crazy cold here. I was beginning to think that groundhog doesn't know what he is talking about) which was baby Owen's birthday. I spent almost the entire day at the hospital waiting on that little boy to make his grand entrance. Much like a Dowdle, he was fashionably late. It was exciting and challenging since I had both of my kids with me. Lots of running in circles and squealing in the waiting room. And the kids were pretty wild too! I am sure all of nice people who had to share that space with us were wishing Owen would hurry up get here already! So around 3pm, we rushed home ate a quick dinner and jumped back in the car to head back to the hospital to welcome our new little family member. I just told that whole play by play so that you could see how pressed for time we were. Since we needed something super fast, I found another super quick Real Simple recipe that was delicious and satisfying. Fettucini with Cream Sauce, Peas, and Chives. The recipe was for the basic Cream Sauce, a good thing to have in your repertoire. The sauce takes about 10 min to make and you just add your favorite pasta and a few extra upgrades (peas and fresh chives).

The kids LOVED this and so did I. What is not to love about a creamy cheese sauce over pasta? I am sure the gigantic bowl I ate was not very healthy, but I feel like it was better than the standard Mac and Cheese from the box. Anytime, I can use fresh ingredients I feel a little better about feeding it to my kids. Don't get me wrong... we eat our weight in Kraft mac n cheese around here, but it is nice to mix it up every now and then.


Fettucini with Cream Sauce
1 lb of dried pasta
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup (4 oz) grated parmesan
10 oz frozen peas
2 TBSP chopped chives

Cook pasta according to the package directions. In a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, warm the cream, milk, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked pasta and Parmesan and stir until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 min.

Stir 10oz frozen peas into the pasta with cream sauce and warm over medium heat until heated through, about 3 min. Top with 2 TBSP chopped chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment