Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 1 Week 1 - Hello pots and pans I have missed you!

So last night I started the cooking challenge with an easy dinner that we have all the time at our house. Cheeseburger Casserole. I got this recipe from a lady (so sorry I can't remember her name) I met at an Independent Pres bible study. She gave us several quick and easy recipes that have really saved me a time or two. If you have kids this is a great one. My family thanks you sweet lady at IP!

As I started preparing dinner I realized that it has been a really long time since I have cooked in my kitchen. You know, something other than frozen pizza or chicken nuggets. I had almost forgotten how to chop up an onion. But never fear, it was like riding a bike and I was able to pick back up with out too much of a problem. Walt decided to make it extra challenging for me by insisting that I hold him the entire time. So there I was cooking over a hot stove with a baby on my hip when my husband got home. Every man's dream right? I sure hope so, because the house was a nightmare. (One challenge at a time I guess) Dinner was a success. I mean I didn't set the bar too high with this one. Amelia hit the nail on the head when she said "well it sure is better than Hamburger Helper". Thank you honey, I will do better tomorrow.

Cheeseburger Casserole
1 (8oz) package medium egg noodles
1 1/2 lb ground turkey
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup (low fat or non fat) cottage cheese
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
1 cup sour cream (reduced fat)

Cook noodles, drain. Brown meat, garlic and onion in skillet. Add tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Add cottage cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese and noodles. Heat til cheese melts.


No comments:

Post a Comment