Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 5 Week 3 - Still playing ketchup

Friday is here and that means I have completed my 3rd week of this cooking challenge. Seems like a lot longer. Hmm.

Friday night is usually movie night but I was not feeling like watching another cartoon. So we switched it to Game night and broke out the wii. It had been a while, but I had no idea how long. When I stepped on the wii fit board it said..."ooo. If it isn't Annah Mary. It has been 352 days since you last worked out". Ouch. that hurt. And you know what else hurt? My body after hula hooping with Amelia all night. There were pictures, but I am not doing that to myself.

Okay so back to the food. I tried another Real Simple recipe. Ham and Cheese turnovers. Very good and easy. And there are tons of different variations you could come up with for this one. Since it is similar to a Calzone. I was happy that Amelia would eat it because it was, in her mind, a pizza roll-up. She will eat anything that can be considered pizza. It was important for us to call it that all night because she would never eat a ham and cheese sandwich. Perhaps that is a bit patronizing or manipulating, but I am okay with that if it gets her to eat.


The recipe suggested that you just serve it with a plain romaine salad and make your own dressing. They were right! Perfect...

Ham and Cheese Turnovers
1 (1 lb) package of refrigerated pizza dough ( i just used the pillsbury pizza crust in the tube)
8 oz deli ham, thinly sliced
4 oz Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow onion, cut into thin rings

Dressing
2 tsp whole-grain mustard
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Heat over to 400ยบ.
Roll the pizza dough into a 14in circle and cut into 8 triangles

Stack a piece of ham, cheese, and onions on the bottom of each triangle and roll the dough up around the filling. (some of the filling will stick out of the ends.)

Transfer the rolls to a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 min.

For Dressing: whisk together mustard and oil in medium bowl and toss with the romaine salad.

1 comment: