Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 2 Week 1 - Two Thumbs Up!

Last night I tried one of the Real Simple recipes that got this whole ball rolling. Crispy Chicken Cutlets with Creamy Romaine Salad. The recipe boasts that it is quick and kid friendly which it perfect for the Summys! Well, I think it would have been quicker and more kid-friendly if I had planned my day a little better. We were all a little worn out after grocery shopping, rushing to and from Amelia's ballet class and then dragging the kids to a store to pick up some jeans that I ordered (super important!). By the time we got home it was close to 5:30 and natives were getting restless. Note to self: When this challenge is over and I make this again (I definitely will make it again since Steve and Amelia gave it two thumbs up) I will do some prep work ahead of time just to make the cooking go a little more smoothly. But I must say this is my first time to use cornmeal and buttermilk to bread chicken and it was GREAT! Very crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside!! Loved it!

So for one of the "first timer" recipes this one was a success and I am getting more excited about challenging myself in this way. Now if I can just figure out how to do this AND keep up with the rest of my life. (PS. All my Christmas decorations are still up....taunting me.) Thank you Real Simple - for keeping it real and simple.

Crispy Chicken Cutlets with Creamy Romaine Salad
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup cornmeal
Kosher salt and pepper
8 chicken cutlets ( about 1 1/2 pounds)
6 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat)
1/2 tsp honey
1 head romaine lettuce, cut into pieces
1 red bell pepper, sliced

Place 3/4 cup of buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the cornmeal, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Dip the chicken in the buttermilk (letting any excess drip off), then the cornmeal, pressing gently to help it adhere.

Heat 3 Tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Cook half the chicken until golden and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Wipe out the skillet. Repeat with the remaining oil and chicken.

In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, honey, the remaining 1/4 cup of buttermilk, and 1/4 tsp salt. In a large bowl, toss the lettuce and bell pepper with the dressing. Serve with the chicken.

Not as great as the pic from the magazine but you get the idea.
Kid Approved! Such a little encourager!

No comments:

Post a Comment