Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Playing a little fast and loose with the term "Best Day Ever"

As I am writing this I am listening to my family in the other room singing Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name" at the top of their sweet lungs. It might be my favorite sound in the whole world. We are definitely raising these kids to appreciate the finer things in life.

As my family continues to work towards their goal of becoming The Partridge Family 2.0 (or something that makes me sound a little less old), I am taking a little Coke timeout and reading all of the words I can find on the internet.

It doesn't happen often, but I felt like a super productive member of my family and society today, and therefore, deserve the opportunity to bow out of the bed time routine that is about to start.

My super mom behaviors started slow this morning as I didn't crawl out of bed until 8:30. I was awaken at 7 by my youngest, but since the rest of the house appeared to be sleeping, I did what any good mom would do and grabbed the iPad, started Frozen, and handed it to her with strict instructions not to speak. As if that was necessary because Frozen was already playing and she had stopped listening to me and was in Frozen Zombie land. (Still. That movie has serious magical staying power.) 

Once I was up, I remembered it was my Dad's birthday so I texted with him and sent a video of the kids shouting HBD and asked what their plans were for the day. Their plan for the day sounded fun and therefore made me feel like a bad mom for not being as fun as my parents. A better, cooler plan must be made. (Im nothing, if not competitive. But not in sports or normal competition. Mainly just competing in dumb things and only against the voices in my own head.) After a quick text with my brother and dinner invitation the day was taking shape.

We met my brother at Holiday Ham where he sat through a gazillion questions from each of my children which (I can only imagine) made the prospect of returning to work for the afternoon seem so much better than usual. After lunch, since we were in midtown, we hit up our favorite ice cream/popsicle shop on our way back east. All I can say is La Michocacana is a real Memphis treasure. Well I guess, technically, it's an International treasure since it is clearly Mexican, but whatever... either way it's delicious.

In case there is a Memphis reader who has been missing out.
You're welcome.

Popsicles on an August day. How southern are we?

After popsicles we went to Potter Barn Outlet (the kids' choice. For real. They are the quirkiest kids) and then to the Farmer's Market to pick up some veggies for dinner. That probably sounds like I do that all the time, not really. That was probably the 2nd time in my whole life I have just run "to the Farmer's Market to pick up veggies for dinner". I'm not usually so organized and deliberate with my farmer's market purchases. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty good about myself at this point.

We made it home just in time for a quick visit from the birthday boy and Mom and then I whipped (there I am showboating again) up some veggie lasagna and purple hull peas. It was delicious and most people ate without complaint. Which is as good as it gets around here.

That brings us to the after dinner Rock Band Concert and Bon Jovi tribute. When you sprinkle in dishes and a couple loads of laundry that makes for a full day. And, I might add, my kids mentioned, more than once, that it was "THE BEST DAY EVER!"

I don't really know if I should be proud of that or just really sad that my kids have seemed to lower their standards significantly. It seems a bit early in their life for that.
Oh well, I am going to chose to count it as a mommy win and suck down the last of this tall glass of Coke (Ahhhhh!) before heading upstairs to sing two rounds of "Jesus Loves Me" and one "Silent Night."

It's no Bon Jovi, but I have been known to bring the house (or Louisa's bedroom) down once or twice. Just saying.



FACEBOOK FROM THE PAST
August 2015
Y'all. Parenting is tough. Moms of little ones, when people say "it's just a season. It will get easier", they are lying. They are just trying to make you feel better. There I said it. In other news... We ruined Amelia's entire life tonight. Ruined. 

(Good News. Looks like she bounced back. And it only took 1 year.)



No comments:

Post a Comment