Sunday, May 1, 2016

Birthday Week happenings

Today is my birthday. It has been a wonderful day. More accurately it has been a wonderful week.



I am one of those people who celebrates an entire Birthday Week every year. 7 days of birthday fun. I thought this was more common than it apparently is. Maybe there is not actually group of people who do this, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why there wouldn't be. As mothers we don't have many opportunities to have an "all about me" day (week) so I think it is important to make the most of the one day that is all yours.

The birthday week came about some time in my adult years when getting older became less cool so I needed loved ones to pay attention to the celebratory nature of the day to make me forget about gray hair and gravity. People seem confused by the timing of my birthday week so allow me to break it down for you.

BW is the week leading up to your big day not the week following your birthday. This seems obvious to me simply because the anticipation of an event is half the fun. Also, no one cares about the day AFTER the big day. There are no "day after the wedding" parties. That is why honeymoons were invented. To let brides down easy after a year of planning and celebrating. If you are unmarried or a man and don't get the metaphor, it's like Christmas. Why do you think Target starts celebrating in October for Christmas? Because no one cares about the day after Christmas. It's over. Decorations are down and trees are on the curb. Not that I'm saying that my birthday is as important is Jesus's birth, but you get the point.

If that wasn't reason enough my birthday has a few more specific reasons for the pre birthday week. 1. My birthday is May 1st. Before smart phones and Facebook reminders people with "1st day of the month" birthdays got lost in the shuffle simply because people had not flipped the page on their calendar. I used to get so many "oops I forgot your birthday" greetings on May 2nd. Something needed to be done. If only there was a way to let everyone I crossed paths with know that my birthday was coming....hmm. 2. The week following my birthday is getting dangerously close to Mother's Day. I am a firm believer in keeping all holidays separate but equal. I genuinely feel bad for those Christmas babies who grew up with combined celebrations. If I were you I would totally adopt a week in the summer so that you too can experience the joys of Birthday week.

All. of. that. to. say.... (good grief. I can be so long winded.)
BW2016 was epic. The theme being eat all of the food. That's it. Just eat everything you see. It was great fun.

I may have mentioned that the way to my heart is with food. So I started off birthday week with one of my favorite dinners. Meatloaf and Mashed potatoes. I'm a Mississippi girl and there is no better comfort food than this combo. I should mention that my kids and husband are not from the great state of MS and therefore are not huge fans of this meal.  But it's my Birthday Week and I am also the family chef so.... Like it or not. Everyone just be happy making bird's nests out of Potatoes and English peas.



Wednesday night we took the kids to one of my favorite sandwich places. I have no pictures because my kids turned into hooligans as soon as they saw the chalk board wall and made everyone wish they had chosen another dining location. 

Thursday was beautiful and I was feeling the need to sit out and enjoy a good book in the awesome weather. I have been a fan of the Big Mama Blog for some time, but just recently discovered her books. Melanie Shankle has somehow tapped directly into my brain and is writing my life, only much funnier and more fabulous. Naturally, I'm convinced we are now best friends. In the same way I'm certain Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake (collectively) and I will one day hang out together doing Bee Gees impressions and laughing about hashtags. Until then, buy the book. And then read it. You're welcome.




Thursday night I met some sweet friends for an "elegant" dinner at The Farmer on Highland. Again I have no pictures of this but for a completely different reason. The food was way delicious and the company was lovely. There was no time for pictures. We were too busy loving our ladies night sans kids.

Friday was packed with fun. Mom and Sister came up for lunch and shopping. I may have had a highly embarrassing experience in a very nice accessories shop. Ill just say I left the shop feeling a bit like Vivian Ward in Pretty Woman. But the day was not a complete loss. I picked up some adorable earrings and had the best time with my favorite girls. 

That night we all got together again to run the Opening Eyes to Autism 5k. This race holds such a special place in the hearts of our family and it was so fun to get the entire gang (plus a few hundred more) together to run for my sweet nephew Owen. Team Owen rocked it and won the award for largest group! Awesome night.





Saturday (also known as Birthday Eve) we spent the day at home (which is my favorite way to spend a Saturday) and the night in Midtown. Well Steve and I went to Midtown. The kids stayed with a sitter which we all know is about as fun as aSaturday night gets when you are a kid. Steve and I hit up the always spectacular Babalu for some  lots of tapas style cuisine. Beginning with homemade guacamole and ending with a dessert PLATTER and a personal fireworks spectacle. Which is, in my opinion, the only way to celebrate a birthday.




That brings us to today. May 1. Here's the thing. If you start talking about your birthday weeks in advance, people know about it and have fun celebrating with you. Sunday morning started with breakfast in bed from the kids, and then more surprise breakfast at church with the best Sunday School class eva, followed by a fun lunch with presents (see what I mean about the food theme?). I finished my BW2016 with a little pedicure, coffee, and FB messages. 


I'm not one to ask for extra attention on a regular basis, but there is a time and a place for it. And that time is your birthday. Mom friend, I give you permission to let people pamper you on your big day. It makes you happy and it makes everyone around you happy. 

If you don't believe me, look at this face!


So long 37. You were good to me but #38isthenewblack.

No comments:

Post a Comment