Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 1 Week 3 – We're half way there...Livin on a prayer.

I don't really know why I decided to go with that title. It really doesn't have anything to do with today's post. Other than I am half way through January and Bon Jovi is always relevant. I am a few days behind in my blogging so I will do my best to remember every morsel of Monday night's meal for this post. Why should you suffer because I am a procrastinator?

This week is busy. I have meetings 3 out of 5 nights which means I had to get a little creative with the meal planning. But that is what makes this a challenge, right? For those of you who are uber busy and need a few working woman recipes to stick in your back pocket, this is the week for you. Monday night's quick and easy dinner of choice...Chicken Stir Fry.

I had no written recipe for this one. In fact, I have never cooked stir-fry. That is a Steve specialty. But we talked it over and decided having him cook the meal (although extremely easy on me) would pretty much be cheating on the challenge. So he stood behind me spouting out directions like "a little more of that...Whoa whoa that is enough!" while I cooked this for the very first time. Considering I didn't have an actual recipe and I don't handle being told what to do very well, it came out pretty good. When I was finished I wrote down the recipe for myself and my blog friends. Love you honey, but I don't plan on cooking with you "coaching" over my shoulder ever again.


Chicken Stir Fry
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 or 4 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
2 bags frozen stir-fry veggies
2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1 tsp of bottled minced garlic)
4 tbsp soy sauce (we use reduced sodium)
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
4 cups cooked rice

Put 1 tbsp oil and chopped chicken in wok or large skillet.
Heat to med-high and cook chicken until almost done
Add garlic and cook chicken the rest of the way.
Add 3 tbsp Soy and 2 tbsp of Teriyaki.
Add veggies and toss until combined.
Cover and simmer for 5 min. Uncover and stir. Cover and simmer 5 min more.
Vegetables should be a little crisp. Don't over cook or they get soggy.
Add soy sauce to taste.
Serve over hot rice.

Doesn't get any easier than that.




No comments:

Post a Comment